I Just Called to Say, “I Love You”
Today’s Truth “Call to me,” says the Lord, “and I will answer you and tell you great and mighty things which you do not know,” (Jeremiah 33:3 NASB).
Friend to Friend It was an unusual phone call from my son, Steven. It was the second week of his second semester, his third year in college.
“Hey mom, this is Steven. I just wanted to call and say ‘hello’. I haven’t talked to you in a while and wanted to see how you were doing.”
“Hey bud,” I replied. “How are you? How are your classes? Do you like your professors?”
We volleyed questions and answers back and forth. It was a nice intro, and I kept waiting for the request such as, “Could you put an extra $50 in my account for another Philosophy book I had to buy,” or a question such as “Does my car insurance go up if I get a parking ticket.” But those type questions never came.
“Mom, how are you doing?”
“What have you been up to this week?”
“How’s the new book coming?”
After about fifteen minutes into our conversation, I reluctantly asked, “Is everything OK?”
“Yeah,” he chuckled. “I just called to talk. Are you surprised?”
“Sort of,” I sheepishly admitted. “But it is a wonderful surprise!”
A few minutes later we said our “goodbyes” and “I love yous.” Then I sat there and savored the joy of knowing that my son had called…not because he needed anything or had a problem to solve, but just because he loved me. Suddenly I got another call. Only this one was from my Heavenly Father. No, the phone didn’t ring, but like a cell phone set on silent mode, God vibrated my heart with that still small voice that I have grown to love so well. Let me paraphrase what He said…
“Sharon, I want you to remember how you feel at this moment. Your son, whom you love more than life itself, has just called to talk to you…not because He wanted anything, not because he had a question about a decision or a detail of life, not because he had a problem to solve. He called just to talk, simply to see what was on your heart – because he loves you. That, my child, whom I love more than life, is the same way I feel when you talk to Me – not because you want something, not because you have a question about a decision you have to make, not because you have a problem to solve. That is how I feel when you talk to Me simply because you want to learn what is on My heart…simply because you love Me.”
Steven’s call was a poignant reminder that the God of the universe delights when His children call…just to say, “I love You.”
“Call to me,” says the Lord, “and I will answer you and tell you great and mighty things which you do not know,” (Jeremiah 33:3 NASB).
Let’s Pray Dear Father, I love You. That’s really all I want to say today. I love you, not because of what You do, but because of Who You are…my Heavenly Dad. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Now It’s Your Turn Have you told God you love Him lately? If not, one of the best ways to praise Him is to use the names of God found in the Bible. Let’s look at a few. I’ll give you the Hebrew name found in the Old Testament and the English translation.
“God we praise you that you are:
- Jehovah – The Self Existent Onewho had no creator and was before all things (Exodus 3:13-16)
- Jehovah-Raah – The Lord my Shepherdwho takes care of me (Psalm 23)
- Jehovah-Jireh – The Lord my Provider who provides for my every need (Genesis 22:8, 14)
- Jehovah-Shalom– The Lord my Peace who gives peace beyond human understanding (Judges 6:24)
- Jehovah-Rophe – The Lord Who Heals physically, emotionally, and spiritually (Exodus 15:26)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu – The Lord our Righteousnesswho cleanses us from all our sin (Jeremiah 23:6)
- Jehovah-Shammah – The Lord is Thereand Who will never leave us alone (Ezekiel 48:35)
- Jehovah-Nissi – The Lord my BannerWho brings victory in all my spiritual battles (Exodus 17:15)
- Jehovah-M’Kaddesh – The Lord who Sanctifiesand sets us apart (Leviticus 20:8)